Youth Empowerment Services (YES)

The Youth Empowerment Services Project (YES) has been authorized by the Department of Health & Welfare (DHW) as part of the Jeff D. Settlement Agreement resulting from the Jeff D. Class Action lawsuit.

The State of Idaho is in the process of developing a new children’s mental health system of care called YES – Youth Empowerment Services. It will provide a new way for families to find the mental health help they need for their children and youth. It will be strengths-based and family-centered, and it will incorporate a team approach that focuses on providing individualized care for children.

The section below is designed to help answer frequently asked questions. Should you need additional information, please email us at

This page was updated 11/5/18.

General Youth Empowerment Services (YES) Questions  

What is the Youth Empowerment Services Program?

The Youth Empowerment Services Program refers to services available under or accessed via the 1915(i) State Plan option. Currently, the available services include all behavioral health services in the Idaho Behavioral Health Plan (IBHP) and non-crisis respite. Medicaid SED Program Members are Medicaid Members who have gone through the Independent Assessment process, have a qualifying DSM-V Mental Health Diagnosis and substantial functional impairment, and have or are in the process of developing a Person Centered Plan. The Youth Empowerment Services Program is part of the YES System of Care.

What is the YES System of Care vs. the Youth Empowerment Services Program? (NEW)

The YES System of Care refers to the entirety of the mental health supports and resources for children and adolescents with mental health needs in Idaho. The YES System of Care requires provider adherence to the YES Practice Model and the YES Principles of Care for all child & adolescent members they serve. Every child and adolescent receiving mental health services in Idaho participates in some way in the YES System of Care.

The Youth Empowerment Services Program refers to a specific population within the YES System of Care. These are individuals who are eligible for Medicaid under the 1915(i) State Plan Option. In order to be eligible for Medicaid under the 1915(i) State Plan Option, individuals must undergo an independent assessment with Liberty Healthcare. Liberty Healthcare will determine if the member has a serious emotional disturbance (SED) and significant functional impairments. When Liberty Healthcare determines that the individual has an SED and functional impairments, those who did not previously qualify for Medicaid will then be reviewed by the Self Reliance Office for Medicaid Eligibility. Once established, these now eligible members may participate in person centered planning.

Who is considered a Member eligible for Youth Empowerment Services Program?

An Idaho resident who is under 18 years of age, with a qualifying DSM-V Mental Health Diagnosis and substantial functional impairment (and meets financial eligibility requirements), as determined by the Child and Adolescent Needs and Strengths (CANS) assessment, may be considered eligible for the Youth Empowerment Services Program.

Is there a way I can know if a child is in the Youth Empowerment Services Program when checking their Medicaid eligibility? (NEW)

Yes. A member that is part of the Youth Empowerment Services Program will have a Rate Code 44 to indicate their participation in the Youth Empowerment Services Program.

What is a Person Centered Plan?

A Person Centered Service Plan, frequently referred to as simply a “Person Centered Plan,” is required for participants to access Medicaid home and community-based services (HCBS). The Person Centered Plan includes information about the child, including preferences, strengths and needs as identified in the Child and Adolescent Needs and Strength (CANS) assessment, and goals. It also includes a list of all of the formal and informal services and supports needed to achieve the identified goals, whether or not they are reimbursable by Medicaid. Care is taken to make sure there is no duplication of services delivered through other agencies or programs. Person Centered Planning is consistent with YES Principles of Care and engages the youth and family in all aspects. A Person Centered Plan is different from an individualized treatment plan and providers should coordinate and inform through the Child and Family Team process.

Who needs to go through the Person Centered Planning process?

Beginning January 1, 2018 - Members and families seeking the services under the 1915(i) State Plan option (only non-crisis Respite care at this time) or Medicaid eligibility up to 300% of the Federal Poverty Level must go through the Person Centered Planning process.

Who creates the Person Centered Plan?

The Person Centered Plan is a collaborative effort by all Members of the Child and Family Team (CFT). The Division of Behavioral Health (DBH) Care Plan Coordinator who facilitates the formal CFT Meetings creates and finalizes the document with the input of the team. FACS-DD will facilitate the creation of the plans for children and youth who meet dual (behavioral and developmental) eligibility. Optum reviews the finalized Person Centered Plan to ensure adherence to the Code of Federal Regulations.

How do we ensure collaboration on treatment goals and services within the Child and Family Team?

One of the key criteria for the Person Centered Plan is that a formalized and agreed upon negotiation process is in place for the CFT to determine appropriate services. The CFT must take into account the results of the Comprehensive Diagnostic Assessment (CDA) and CANS and must identify goals and select services and supports based on the youth/family’s needs and strengths. As the lead for the development of the Person Centered Plan, the DBH Clinician or FACS-DD facilitator will have the responsibility to ensure that there is collaboration and agreement for the services that will be documented on the Person Centered Plan. The CFT will also develop conflict resolution guidelines to help the team work through disagreements
that may arise during the planning process.

Is there going to be specific IDAPA related to YES Services?

Rules have been published. See IDAPA 16.03.10 and 635 and 636.

Is there a registration process that providers need to complete in order to provide YES services?

No specific registration is required. All YES services will be added to the regular fee schedule and be billable by qualified Providers in Optum’s Network, assuming they have met all requirements by the respective services as described in the Level of Care Guidelines and Provider Manual. Please also see Provider Alerts for announcements regarding specific services at,>For Network Providers>Alerts & Announcements. If you have further questions about your ability to provide specific services, please contact your Regional Network Manager at>contact us>regional representation flyer.

YES Service Accessibility

Will YES Services be available to Medicaid clients only?

The Department of Health & Welfare will ensure that services and supports are made
available to all children who are determined to have serious emotional disturbance
(SED) and substantial functional impairment, with the goal to utilize Medicaid
reimbursement when the child is a Medicaid participant. Children and youth who
qualify for Medicaid, and have access to the Idaho Behavioral Health Plan (IBHP),
operated by Optum Idaho, can receive YES services based on their eligibility and
benefit plan. Children and youth who are not Medicaid participants can access
resources available through the local Children’s Mental Health (CMH) office. These
resources may be available to the child or youth even if they have private insurance.

How can families seek services?

Beginning January 1, 2018 youth/families seeking access to non-crisis Respite care or are seeking Medicaid coverage with a household income up to 300% Federal Poverty Level may be referred to Liberty Healthcare, the contracted Independent Assessor. Referrals may be made by a Provider, family Member, probation officer, attorney, another involved party, or self-referral by the youth and/or family. All requests for assessments will be honored. Once a referral has been received, the Independent Assessor will conduct a Comprehensive Diagnostic Assessment (CDA) to assess whether the child or youth has a serious emotional disturbance (SED) and will conduct a Child and Adolescent Needs and Strengths (CANS) assessment to identify the functional impairments, strengths, and needs of the youth and family. Once SED and substantial functional impairment(s) have been established, individuals that do not have Medicaid eligibility will be referred to Medicaid’s Self Reliance unit to complete the eligibility process. Children and youth who do not qualify, or those who choose to not accept YES services may be referred and connected to other community services.

Liberty Healthcare: 1-877-305-3469
Self Reliance: 1-877-456-1233

How would these individuals be connected to an Idaho Behavioral Health Plan provider?

Once a child or youth has been determined to meet diagnostic and substantial functional impairment criteria and has become Medicaid eligible, the Independent Assessor, Liberty Healthcare, will provide the Member with a letter confirming their eligibility.  Members can call the Optum Member line at 855-202-0973 for referrals.  This number is included in the Member Handbook.  If a child or youth is determined to not meet diagnostic and functional impairment criteria, the Independent Assessor will identify community referrals. The child or youth and their family always retain the right to choose their service Provider.

What is the 1915(i) State Plan option?

The 1915(i) State Plan option allows individuals to seek Medicaid eligibility up to 300% Federal Poverty Level (FPL). It also allows Medicaid the ability to reimburse Providers for services that are not included in the state plan, such as non-crisis Respite. The 1915(i) state plan amendment went into effect on January 1, 2018.

What is being done to address workforce issues at all levels to deliver these YES services?

The Division of Behavioral Health has contracted with Boise State University (BSU) to conduct a workforce capacity analysis as part of the Jeff D. Settlement Agreement. The data from this comprehensive survey will provide information to help the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare to work collaboratively to develop a workforce development strategy to support the YES implementation. Medicaid continues to work with Optum regarding their role in assisting with workforce development and will monitor Optum’s work with the Provider Advisory Committee (PAC) to create a workforce development strategy. Optum Idaho also has a Children’s Advisory Subcommittee in place to work specifically on the care approach for our child and adolescent Members.

How were the programs and services for the YES System of Care determined, and can additional ones be added?

The YES continuum of care was defined in the Appendix C, as part of the Jeff D. Settlement Agreement. Appendix C outlines existing services, as well as new services to be implemented, and additional services will not be implemented at this time. The Department of Health and Welfare is working diligently to develop the services to be rolled out over the next few years. This is a huge undertaking for the system of care and will have a significant impact on the Provider network.

What are the services included in the 1915(i) state plan amendment?

Starting January 1, 2018, non-crisis Respite was the first service available to individuals who qualified under the 1915(i) process.

Independent Assessor

Who has been identified as the Independent Assessor?

Liberty HealthCare Corporation is the contracted Independent Assessor.

Is the Liberty Healthcare contract separate from the Optum contract?

Yes. The Liberty Healthcare and Optum contracts are two separate contracts.

What date will the Independent Assessment process begin?

Liberty Healthcare began rendering the CANS and CDA on January 2, 2018.

How would I refer a Member to the Independent Assessor?

You may refer Members to call 877-305-3469 to schedule an Independent Assessment.

If I suspect that one of my clients has an SED, do I have to send them through the Independent Assessment? (NEW)

While it is encouraged, you are not required to send the client through the Independent Assessment unless the child needs services under the 1915(i) State Plan option (e.g. Respite). The Independent Assessment will determine the child’s SED status. In order to receive Respite care or become Medicaid eligible under the 1915(i) State Plan Option (up to 300% FPL), an Independent Assessment is mandatory.

Will the Independent Assessor process be similar to the DD program assessment process?

The Independent Assessment process has some similarities to the DD Independent Assessment process. However, they are two different populations and contracts, and have separate requirements.

If Liberty Healthcare provides a CDA for the Member, should my agency still complete our own CDA? (NEW)

You would not have to complete a full CDA process when there has already been a recent one completed. Rather, you will quantify those specific items that you need to in order to clinically provide services as a CDA addendum/update. (You would bill this time as CDA). In order to provide services, it is necessary for a provider to have an up-to-date CDA and functional assessment scores on record, which is used to generate a treatment plan. If a member has a CDA that was recently completed by another clinical entity, you would still need to meet with the member/family in order to complete treatment planning and initiate services. However, as is always best practice, you would take care not to unnecessarily repeat an assessment (such as the CANS).

What do I do if the CDA from Liberty Healthcare is incomplete or I don't agree with it? (NEW)

Best practice would be to amend the recent CDA as necessary based upon your clinical judgement, and to use the CANS to develop a treatment plan around the member’s assessed functional needs. (The completed CANS yields assessed functional need values that should be used as part of the treatment planning for the member.)

You will not be audited solely on the Liberty CDA.  If the Liberty CDA does not meet the requirements of the audit and of your agency, you should fill in the gaps with an addendum. This update would be completed based upon your clinical judgment. This addendum can be completed in an initial intake when billing 90791 or in the first session when billing a therapy code. It is important you have all of the information you need for the CDA to design a treatment plan. The auditors will consider both the initial CDA and the addendum in their review of the treatment records. 

Can Liberty accept a CANS and CDA that was completed by an Optum network provider? (NEW)

Yes; Liberty can use a CDA that was completed in the last 6 months.  The assessor is still required to do an independent clinical assessment/interview to verify the information provided hasn’t changed. The assessor will then complete a CANS update in ICANS to document any changes.


Who will be conducting the CANS assessments?

The Independent Assessor through Liberty Healthcare and staff at the Division of Behavioral Health (DBH) currently conduct the CANS. Network Providers who are CANS certified through the Praed Foundation can begin conducting CANS assessments July 1, 2018. The CANS assessment will be conducted by a Master’s level clinician (LCPC, LPC, LCSW or LMFT) or individuals with a Master’s degree who are able to provide therapy in their group agency under Optum’s supervisory protocol. It must be completed through the ICANS platform managed by DBH.

Why was the CANS chosen over other assessment tools?

The CANS was identified in the Jeff D. Settlement Agreement as the functional assessment tool to be used in the State of Idaho. The CANS is currently used in all 50 states and helps ensure a solid foundation for treatment planning as well as measuring outcomes.

Where can I find more information on the CANS?

Additional information on the CANS can be found on the Praed Foundation website at

Will completing the CANS Assessment take a similar amount of time as current assessment tools?

The time to complete a CANS assessment will vary depending on multiple factors such as the complexity of the needs of the child or youth and family, Provider training, and other variables.

What is the cost to become CANS certified?

The cost for a provider to complete the CANS certification online is $12.00. Additional information on the CANS can be found on the Praed Foundation website at Individuals should allow approximately 8 hours to complete the certification. 

What training opportunities are in place for CANS?

Optum Idaho has partnered with the Praed Foundation to offer in-person and on demand workshops. Please go to>For Network Providers>Provider Trainings for more information.

There are multiple CANS trainings on the TCOM training website; which one do I take? (NEW)

Idaho CANS Mental Health 2.0.

I tried to sign up for CANS training on the Praed website, but my agency is not listed. What do I do?

Please email us at with your agency name, and we will work with the Praed Foundation to get it added. For more information about the Praed foundation and their website, please reach out to Lauren Schmidt

Do I need to complete a CANS if my client is not a Youth Empowerment Services Program Member?

Beginning July 1, 2019, the CANS will be the state-required functional assessment tool for all child and adolescent Members, regardless of SED diagnosis or functional impairment.

Is the CANS paper and pencil or is it online?

Online. The CANS assessment will be administered through an online platform called ICANS that will be hosted by the Idaho Division of Behavioral Health (DBH). For more information about iCANS, please reach out to DBH at

How do I get set up with ICANS? (NEW)

ICANS is administered by the Division of Behavioral Health. You can find information about the ICANS platform at Please contact for questions regarding ICANS.

Is CANS going to replace the CDA? Are both services reimbursable?

No, both the CDA and CANS are required. The CDA determines the diagnosis of a potential Medicaid SED Program Member and the CANS determines the functional impairment which, in turn, will inform treatment planning. The CANS will replace the current assessment tools used in the State of Idaho, including the CAFAS, PECFAS, and CALOUCUS. The reimbursement structure includes methodology to reimburse for both a CDA and a CANS.

Can I bill the CANS and a CDA on the same day? (NEW)

Yes, a provider can administer and bill both a Comprehensive Diagnostic Assessment and a CANS functional assessment tool in the same day.

How often will it be necessary to update the CANS?

The CANS will need to be updated at a minimum of every 90 days, or when it’s requested by the individual or when there is a substantial change to the child or youth that would indicate the need for re-assessment.

What benefits will Providers experience by becoming CANS certified?

The CANS will inform Providers and families of functional needs and strengths that can be incorporated into a robust treatment planning process. The CANS is a reliable tool that provides baseline information, progress (or lack thereof), and will be updated as needed throughout the care of the Member. The information provided in the CANS will allow the Child and Family Team to work together in a transparent manner specific to both the strengths and needs for the Member and family. Beginning at the Member level up to the Provider level, the data and outcomes from the CANS will be utilized to continuously improve Idaho’s system of care. Certification through the Praed Foundation is required for Providers to utilize the CANS in the new system of care.

I am an independently licensed clinician doing individual psychotherapy for children. Do I need to be CANS certified?

We encourage all network Providers to become CANS certified. Beginning July 1, 2019, the CANS will be the state-required functional assessment tool for all child and adolescent Members.

Can a network Provider do the initial CANS assessment?

Yes, if the Member is not going through the Independent Assessor (Liberty Healthcare), the network Provider will administer the initial CANS and the subsequent (90 day) updates.

How do we access the CANS to use it with a Member?

For information on how to access the ICANS online platform to administer the assessment to a Member, please contact the Department of Behavioral Health at

What are the outcomes that will be measured, and will we have access to statewide data as well as our own outcomes?

The CANS tool will provide continuous data that will be available to network Providers to assess the well-being of Members throughout the State of Idaho as well as provide comparative data for individual Members in their care. Additional information will be provided to the network as outcomes and reports are developed and how to access them.

Skills Building/ CBRS

Is anything changing about CBRS?

In compliance with the Yes Principles of Care as a result of the Jeff D. Settlement agreement, CBRS has been renamed Skills Building/CBRS. The service now requires a teaming approach between the Licensed Clinician and the Skills Building/CBRS worker. Please consult the Level of Care Guidelines and Provider Manual at for more information.

Is CBRS now becoming Skills Building? Does it apply to all Members?

The current CBRS benefit is being enhanced to become Skills Building/CBRS, and is for all Members, adults and youth, regardless of their YES eligibility.

Do existing clients need to have their treatment plans modified to include the teaming approach?

Yes, providers should be applying this approach effective July 1 , 2018 and updating existing treatment plans accordingly. In addition, new service request forms submitted to Optum should reflect this approach as well. This applies to all Members.  Additional information about the teaming approach can be found in the Skills Building/CBRS Level of Care Guidelines and the Provider Manual, in the Individualized BH Treatment Plan – Teaming Approach section.

Who is required to be present at a treatment planning session? Do team members need to be physically present?

Treatment planning for the provision of Skills Building should be completed with the Member’s Clinician, the Skills Building Paraprofessional, with the Member & their family or other natural support present.  Prior to the Skills Building treatment planning, the Member’s Clinician will have completed their clinical assessment of the Member to assist in developing the treatment plan. In addition, in order to bill for Skills Building/CBRS, the teaming approach is required, and should represent the interaction between both providers and the Member as they address the goals and methods for the support.

When Skills Building services are being requested for a Member discharging directly from inpatient care or incarceration to the service, Optum will work with providers to assure that such Members are able to receive medically necessary services in a timely way. Optum will allow the following related to submission of Service Request Forms (SRFs): Members accessing services directly from a facility discharge. We understand that you will not be able to “Team” on these Members until you are able to schedule a treatment planning meeting and that you need to begin to work with them regardless. We will allow one transitional SRF covering 90 days, to allow you time to complete a CDA and Teaming Treatment Plan when a Member discharges to your care.  Please use the following instructions to obtain this authorization:

1. Identify on the SRF in Section 6 Treatment History, # 2 Psychiatric Hospitalization History that, “This is a Transitional Request given this Member is discharging from a facility. We are in the process of scheduling a CDA/CDA Addendum, and treatment planning meeting. ” We would be interested in your listing when the Member’s impending treatment planning appointment date is on the form.

2. Complete Section 6 with the pertinent information from the discharging facility as you normally would.

3. You may use the discharge information from the facility to gather the Member’s “functional needs” and identify these functional needs in Section 8.  You can by-pass the requirement to “Team” initially, and work to team going forward so that this has been completed for any subsequent requests.

4. Also in Section 8 of the SRF under “Goals” please state the goals developed that will address the listed functional needs. If you can, please identify the modality or intervention to be used.  If you cannot, please include “Working with Member in Transition to the Community”.

5. A 90 day 154 unit authorization will be issued as a transitional authorization beginning with the date of submission of the SRF. (For any services provided prior to the date of the SRF submission date, you will need to submit the request for these dates using the retrospective review process described in the Optum Provider Manual.)

6. A transitional authorization will only be considered for cases in which the Member receives treatment directly from a hospital/facility discharge.

7. If more than 154 units is requested, the provider will need to provide sufficient clinical detail to demonstrate medical necessity for the additional requested units.

8. If a SRF for continued care is subsequently submitted, all of the requirements in the Level of Care Guideline will need to be followed. This includes teaming, listing assessed functional needs that are measurable, and identification of the modality and intervention that will be used to work on the functional need(s) identified.

The Development of the Clinician’s Treatment plan is separate from the Skills Building treatment plan.  For Adult Members, skills building treatment planning should include the Member and their selected natural support, and also occur after the Clinician’s assessment and therapeutic treatment plan has been completed. (The Clinicians’ assessment and treatment plan will include the identified functional needs which will be the focus of any skills building treatment planning.) For providers not yet using the CANS with children, another functional assessment tool should still be used.

What functional assessments will be used for adults?

Optum is not mandating a specific functional assessment tool for adults at this time. However, some examples include the Adult Needs and Strengths Assessment (ANSA), Scales of Independent Behavior-Revised (SIB-R), ABAS-III, Adaptive Behavioral Scale-Residential & Community, WHODAS 2.0 or other assessments that would be appropriate for the Member’s specific case which identify functional deficit areas.

Can the CAFAS continue to be used after 7/1/19 for non-YES Members?

No; effective 7/1/19, the CANS will be the state-required functional assessment for all Medicaid Members under age 19, regardless of YES class membership. At that time, all Medicaid Members will need to have a current, updated CANS on file.

How is documentation changing?

On the Service Request Form, all medical issues are now pulled together; the goals and objectives are now pulled together into one vs. two sections.

Can LMSWs or LPCs do a CDA?

The same Supervisory Protocol applies and is not changing for Skills Building. Rostered clinicians and master's level clinicians operating under Supervisory Protocol can perform the CDA.

What credential is required for Skills Building/CBRS? Is a bachelor's degree required? Do LSWs obtain the CFRP?

While Optum has adopted a new title for the service of CBRS to better reflect the intent of the service, CBRS as Skills Building continues to be is a service focused on Member’s functional deficits resulting from a behavioral health condition.   No changes to provider qualifications have been made. Provider qualifications are defined in the Optum Supervisory Protocol: the CPRP and/or CFRP are required. Although Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association (PRA) may not require a bachelor’s degree, Optum does require it.  Licensed staff (including LSW) do not need to obtain the CFRP per the Supervisory Protocol as always. In addition, more information will be coming soon from Optum regarding a paraprofessional roster.

How do we get PRA certification to provide Skills-Building/CBRS and how much does it cost?

The PRA credential has been required by Optum all along for providers doing CBRS. However, Optum and the PRA are exploring additional partnership and certification opportunities. In the meantime, please refer to the PRA website for additional information on costs and on obtaining the CPRP and/or CFRP credentials:

Do you have to get the CPRP/CFRP recertified every 3 years?

Yes, just like most other credentials in the field, recertification is required every 3 years.

Will the CPRC certificate be grandfathered or do we need the new CFRP credential?

The CPRC certificate is being retired by PRA, so all providers should begin transitioning to the CFRP credential. This is true for all providers in the PRA and is not unique to Idaho. We are still honoring the certificate, and are allowing individuals 30 months to transition to the CFRP.

Are the educational CEUs discussed required in order to bill Skills Building/CBRS

All providers of Skills Building/CBRS must have certification, or be working toward certification within the 30 month allowance.  The certification does require continuing education, and development of a practitioner knowledge base to apply Evidence Based Practice.  The CEUs discussed are optional for you as one way you can meet the credentialing requirements. Optum is sponsoring some of these opportunities to support providers in meeting their certification requirements. In addition, in order to bill for Skills Building/CBRS, the teaming approach is required.

Can the clinician and paraprofessional both bill for treatment planning on the same day?

Yes, both providers may bill for Skills Building/CBRS service-specific treatment planning (H0032) on the same day working with the Member present. Similarly, Case Consultation (90882) is allowed for collateral contact between providers in different agencies. In order to bill for Skills Building/CBRS, the clinician and paraprofessional must develop the treatment plan together and both can bill for their time. Please refer to Optum’s YES Navigations Training for more information.

How is the CANS incorporated into Skills Building?

The CANS yields scores that reflect a child’s functional needs in specific domains.  The provision of skills building (or behavioral health treatment of any kind) should directly address the functional needs identified from the CANS. (For children who do not have CANS score, or for adults: providers should always build treatment plans around the assessed functional needs of the Member.) The requirement to specifically use CANS is one of the outcomes of the settlement agreement. However, the CANS results are used in conjunction with family participation to address needs and requests for skills building and supports the treatment planning and goals processes.  For more information on CANS administration, please refer to the Praed Foundation’s website ( as well as Optum’s YES Navigation Series training ( > For Network Providers > Provider Trainings).

Can code H0031 be billed for all Members or just YES Members?

The H0031 code expanded on the fee schedule effective July 1 for CANS and is available to be billed for all children receiving a CANS assessment from a CANS certified professional completed on the iCANS platform. Time spent on the CANS can be billed with the H0031 with a modifier HO (for master’s level) or U1 (for prescribers) in group agencies billing under Supervisory Protocol.  The HN modifier will be used for paraprofessionals billing for functional assessments (not CANS) used for case management, peer support and family support.

How do I use code H0032? (NEW)

H0032 with the variations of modifiers applies only to the development of Skills Building/CBRS treatment plans. Skills Building/CBRS treatment plans require a teaming approach between the clinician, the paraprofessional and member/family.  Providers should team after the Comprehensive Diagnostic Assessment and completion of a functional assessment (i.e. CANS).  During this treatment planning, the clinician, the skills building worker and the member/family will discuss and develop the plan which will directly address the member’s assessed functional needs.

How is code H0032 for teaming managed by Optum?

That code is managed via review of outliers, which are statistical observations that are markedly different in value from the others of the sample. Optum manages outliers though the identification of practice patterns that fall outside typical patterns, including the measurement of improvement over time. Additional information about outlier management can be found in the Provider Manual, in the Clinical Outcomes Model: ALERT section.

Are the number of units for H2017 changing?

There are no changes to this code other than increased rate. Prior authorization and medical necessity continues to be required.

Are the CDA and treatment plan two separate appointments?

For children accessing services via the Medicaid SED Program (via the 1915i waiver), the CDA will be completed or updated by the Independent Assessor- it’s used in the Person Centered Planning process.  Just as is currently required, prior to the provision of therapeutic services, the clinician will need to meet the Member to establish services and develop a specific treatment plan for the therapeutic services they will provide. After this occurs, the clinician, and the paraprofessional practitioner providing Skills Building service will meet with the Member/family then “team” to complete the Skills Building Treatment Plan.

How will this service be audited?

There are no changes to the auditing process at this time; however, outlier reports will be utilized to inform Optum of the need for outreach, assistance, and management of fraud, waste, and abuse. Any changes will have a 30 day notice.

What is the time frame for a Skills Building/CBRS authorization?

90 days

Will CBRS still be available to Members who are accessing services through the 1915(i) waiver?

Yes, Skills Building/Community Based Rehabilitation Services can continue to be requested through our current prior authorization process. If the Member is accessing services through the Independent Assessor, the service should be indicated on the Person Centered Plan.

Will the new Service Request Form allow information to be saved longer than 30 days?

No, the same system will be in place, which was introduced as a form submission tool vs a storage site. For technical and HIPAA reasons, forms cannot be stored longer than 30 days. However, if you make a change to a form, it will remain in the system for another 30 days.

Are there still going to be limited number of characters available on the Service Request Form?

Yes, the intent is to review current deficits vs all historical deficits. We review previous service requests so we don’t need that information provided again. The goal is to be clinically succinct. In addition, this information is summarized for you in the CANS results.

Will provisions be made for children who have ADHD who could benefit from Skills Building?

The Jeff D. settlement agreement has Skills Building throughout the document as a foundation. One reason we partnered with Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association (PRA) is to get back to the basics of this service. A Member’s need for Skills Building interventions are determined by assessed functional deficits being targeted.  Functional needs that are addressed through skills building stem from the Member’s primary condition.  The Member’s primary condition should be addressed using evidence-based clinical practices because Evidence Based Practices (or promising practices) are scientifically demonstrated to be most effective for the Member’s condition.  Teaming together, the Member’s Clinician and Skills Building practitioner collaborate to achieve the best outcomes for the Member. Effective 7/1/18 we will have an Evidenced Based Practice library on the Optum Idaho website, and there will be some information on Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).

Specific Service Questions

What do the hourly guidelines for the new services mean on the fee schedule? (NEW)

The number of units indicated for the new YES services are a guideline for providers. Providers should make a clinical decision and be guided by medical necessity while being aware of the utilization guideline. The provider is not responsible for units used outside of their agency.  There is not a hard cap in place to automatically deny claims that exceed the guideline(s) at this time. We will be monitoring utilization by reviewing outliers and requesting records on those that exceed to understand the needs of the case. 

When will non-crisis Respite be available?

Starting January 2, 2018, Non-crisis Respite became available as a new service.

What are the credentials and qualifications for those providing non-crisis Respite care?

Current requirements for a non-crisis Respite Provider include an age minimum of 21 or older and a high school diploma or GED. Starting July 1, 2018, all Providers who
wish to provide non-crisis Respite services will need to complete an online certification course that will be offered free of charge by Optum to network Providers.

Is there training for Respite supervisors?

Yes. There is a training module on Relias designed specifically for supervisors of non-crisis Respite workers.

Will non-crisis Respite need to be pre-authorized?

No. Non-crisis Respite does not require pre-authorization but must be included on the Person Centered Plan.

I'm CANS certified. Am I able to administer the assessment to determine if the Member has SED and qualifies for Respite? I don't want my client to travel far just for an assessment. (NEW)

In order to access 1915(i) State Plan option services Respite, the assessment must be done by the Independent Assessor, Liberty Healthcare. This is a federal requirement of the state plan option.

Liberty Healthcare’s only Idaho office is in Boise, but it has assessors in the field throughout the state and can meet the member in his/her home to administer the assessment. If a member is unwilling or unable to meet in his/her home, Liberty Healthcare assessors will often use office space in regional DBH offices when meeting with a client outside of Boise.

What is the benefit limit for non-crisis Respite, and is there the possibility to request more?

The Medicaid benefit limit for non-crisis Respite is a hard cap of 300 hours (group and individual combined) per calendar year for eligible Members.

Who is on the Child and Family Team (CFT)?

The minimum CFT includes the therapist, the parent, and the child or youth. The CFT may include additional Providers, family Members and community supports or others, as determined by the youth/family.

Who on the Child and Family Team is responsible for updating the CANS? (NEW)

The CANS must be updated every 90 days on the ICANS platform by the primary treating therapist who has the direct relationship with the child/youth. If the primary therapist has not obtained CANS certification, the CANS updates will be completed by DBH/FACS staff until the therapist obtains certification and access to the ICANS platform.

Can one clinician from an agency attend all CFT meetings for all of our clients?

No, the clinician and/or paraprofessional who provide services to the Member and have a relationship with the youth/family should be the one(s) to attend the meeting.

Does the DBH Care Plan Coordinator have to be present at the CFT Meeting in order for the Provider to bill the service (even after the meeting has been scheduled by the DBH Care Plan Coordinator)?

Yes, the DBH Care Plan Coordinator must attend the CFT meeting in order for it to be considered a formal, billable CFT Interdisciplinary Team Meeting.

I'm not getting invited to the CFT Interdisciplinary Team Meetings. How do I get an invite? (NEW)

The Member and his/her family determine which providers are at a Child & Family Team (CFT) Interdisciplinary Team Meeting. If you have not been invited by the DBH facilitator, then let the family know that is their right and responsibility to request that the DBH facilitator to invite you to the CFT Interdisciplinary Team Meeting, if the family wants you to attend. Ensure that you obtain a Release of Information from the family to speak to the Division of Behavioral Health staff that are completing the Person Centered Planning facilitation at this time.

When will we learn more about Wraparound?

Optum and Medicaid will be providing additional information on Wraparound to network Providers as it is developed.

Can a multi-family group be separated into children and parents and receive psychoeducation separately with each group? If so can two providers be present at each group? (NEW)

We recommend that providers use the Evidence Based Practice KIT provided by SAMHSA for Family Psychoeducation. When this evidence-based model is followed, Family Psychoeducation is performed as a single family group or in multi-family groups with the children/youths present. Providers also have the capacity to provide Psychoeducation as part of an individual, family, or group psychotherapy session. The situation described in the question would not be billed as Family Psychoeducation. No more than two providers may bill for facilitating a Multiple Family Group Psychoeducation session.

Will the family psychoeducation service support a group that is composed of single members receiving psychoeducation (example SUDs)? (NEW)

The Family Psychoeducation service being implemented October 1, 2018 includes either a single family or a multi-family group. The scenario in the question describes a different type of adult service. Psychoeducation can be performed as part of group psychotherapy, so group psychotherapy would be billed for this time.

Is it acceptable to bill the crisis response code after October 1, 2018 without the CPI certification? (NEW)

Yes; providers can bill the Crisis Response code from October 1, 2018 to March 31, 2019 without  completing the Crisis Prevention Institute (CPI) training and gaining certification. After April 1, 2019, CPI certification will be required for this service. Optum is working with CPI to provide training opportunities at no cost to the provider network. More details and information are forthcoming.


Will there be any new YES System of Care services available under Medicaid?

Yes. Starting January 2, 2018, non-crisis Respite became available as a new service. Beginning July 1, 2018, the CANS, Child and Family Team (CFT) Interdisciplinary Team Meeting, and Case Consultation are available as new services. Additional services outlined in Appendix C of the Jeff D. Settlement Agreement will be announced by Optum to our network Providers as they are implemented.

Will Providers be reimbursed for participating on the Child and Family Team?

Yes, clinicians and bachelor’s level paraprofessionals may bill for their time spent in formal CFT meetings.

Will the YES service program impact Katie Beckett eligibility?

No. Katie Beckett eligibility is a separate determination. A child or youth and their family will go through the YES Independent Assessment process using the CDA and CANS to determine Medicaid SED Program eligibility.

How to Find Information/ Next Steps

Where can we go for additional information on the YES System of Care?

Additional information on the YES System of Care and the Jeff D. Settlement Agreement can be found online at Medicaid, DBH, and Optum are committed to timely communication and training for our Providers on the YES System of Care implementation to ensure you have what you need to be successful during this transformation of the system of care for children and youths and their families in the State of Idaho. Provider trainings will be communicated through our quarterly Provider Press newsletter as well as ongoing Provider Alerts. Questions on the YES System of Care implementation can be submitted at

Is there someplace that families or Providers can see the list of services that will be rolled out?

Required services are listed in Appendix C of the settlement agreement and can be found online here. Optum Idaho will provide detailed service information to the Provider network throughout the implementation process and as required by Medicaid and the Agreement.